Financial Aid: Zell Miller Scholarship Program
Zell Miller is a merit-based scholarship program available to students who have met the University System of Georgia and the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) residency requirements and are enrolled in an undergraduate degree seeking program.
The Zell Miller Scholarship was created in March of 2011 for Georgia’s highest performing students. Students are determined initially to be eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship by the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC). Students can check their status for the Zell Miller Scholarship by checking their HOPE GPA. Students will only be awarded the Zell Miller Scholarship after KSU receives confirmation of their status from GSFC.
Applying for the Zell Miller Scholarship
To be eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must complete an application - FAFSA or GSFAPPS.
- Meet US citizenship or eligible non-citizen requirements.
- Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the college.
- Not be in default or owe a refund due on a student financial aid program.
- Be in compliance with the Georgia Drug-Free Postsecondary Education Act of 1990.
- Must be confirmed as a Zell Miller Scholar by GSFC (requirements include a 3.7 HOPE GPA from high school along with a 1200 on the math and reading portions of the SAT or a 26 composite score on the ACT test in a single test administration or graduate from an eligible high school or accredited high school program as the valedictorian or the salutatorian.)
- If a student is not designated as a Zell Miller Scholar by GSFC at the time of high school graduation, they cannot gain the Zell Miller Scholarship at a later time.
- Must have at least a 3.30 HOPE GPA, which includes all college level coursework attempted since high school and from any institution attended.
- Must have attempted less than 127 hours.
- Must not have reached your expiration of eligibility date. When you received your first Zell Miller scholarship payment will determine your eligibility limit. The GAfutures website explains the Length of Eligibility limits.
- Must not have earned an baccalaureate (four-year) degree, regardless of whether or not HOPE or Zell Miller funds were received while earning the degree.
To learn more about the requirements for the Zell Miller Scholarship, please visit GAfutures.org.
Zell Miller GPA Reviews
All students must maintain a 3.30 HOPE GPA at their 30, 60 and 90 attempted hours checkpoint and at the end of every Spring semester. The My College HOPE Profile feature on GAfutures allows you to check your academic eligibility for the HOPE Scholarship, Zell Miller Scholarship, HOPE Grant or Zell Miller Grant while in college.
Retroactive Payment for Home School Students
The request for retroactive payment for home school students must be made before the last day of the term following the term in which 30 semester hours were attempted. Students must complete an application with Georgia Student Finance Commission before their eligibility can be considered. To access the application, please visit GAfutures.org.